Cricket/substitute fielder

Question
Respected Sir, can umpires allow a substitute fielder right from the beginning of an innings when one of the nominated players of the fieding side fails to take field at the start of the innings?

Answer
There is no difference in Law between the start of the match and any other time.

Law 2.1 (a)If the umpires are satisfied that a nominated player has been injured or become ill since the nomination of the players, they shall allow that player to have (i) a substitute ...

... (b)The umpires shall have discretion to allow, for other wholly acceptable reasons, a substitute ..., at the start of the match, or at any subsequent time.  

Cricket

Colin Pearson