Cricket/substitute fielder

Respected Sir, can umpires allow a substitute fielder right from the beginning of an innings when one of the nominated players of the fieding side fails to take field at the start of the innings?

There is no difference in Law between the start of the match and any other time.

Law 2.1 (a)If the umpires are satisfied that a nominated player has been injured or become ill since the nomination of the players, they shall allow that player to have (i) a substitute ...

... (b)The umpires shall have discretion to allow, for other wholly acceptable reasons, a substitute ..., at the start of the match, or at any subsequent time.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998