Cricket/Age Limit for Umpiring

Hi Suhas - I have been an arm chair umpire for ages now. My professional commitments prevented me from looking at any other career choices that I may have been interested in. However, I have decided to take a sabbatical from work and explore other opportunities. I have always wanted to pursue umpiring (cricket) and refereeing (hockey).

My problem? I am 38 years old. I have been told that I am very late to try and get to the highest level possible i.e. Umpiring at the international level.

While I have started preparing for and will be giving my exams for the MCA this year, what shouldi realistically keep my expectations at? What is the path one takes from being a rookie to Level 1 BCCI and then onto my eventual goal? I am unable to find anything online that answers these queries. Await your inputs.

Dear Kartik,

Hi very good morning and noted your worries.

My dear not to afraid and not to think negative, when you go for any milestone. Be like Chris Gayle, hit out whatever comes in the way. Success never comes to those who just think of a long run and have negative thoughts. Just be positive, think positive and act positive to work for success. You have to remember that there is no success without struggle. And when we achieve success after a struggle, its taste is quite different.

The age limit is 45 years for passing BCCI level- 1 & 2 exams. If you have started preparation for the Level-1 exam, I hope this is the best remedy to get well prepared and obtain the highest marks. There is always a cut off point for success, but I  would love all the candidates to achieve 100% marks, this will be of greater advantage for further exams. It is like academic career, Passing with distinction is now a days no more achievement, but passing with above or around 97 / 98 % will help you a lot and give you more satisfaction.

You are very close to 45 years, as far as opportunities are concerned for you to appear and pass in the exam. So you have to work hard, stand in more matches, learn more about the application of Laws and discuss all the time with your senior umpires, this will help you a  lot. Develop neat and clean handwriting for writing questions-answers, also need to develop good skill of communication in English, this will push your career ahead and will help you to impress people around. Be soft spoken and remain low profile. Be a good listener and then be a good orator, I am sure you will succeed and will perform better in the days to come.

At the moment this is good enough to brain wash your worries and guidance. For any questions please do ask me I am here to help you.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 24/05/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.