Cricket/about cricket umpiring

QUESTION: I am from punjab working in ludhiana and 23 years old. I could never become a player due to some financial reasons and if there is still any chance please suggest me where i go because i have very much passion about cricket and my game was also very good we won zonal cricket tournament in year 2005 under my captaincy.
and if there is no chance to become a cricketer then I want to remain connected with cricket somehow - Umpiring is one such way

my questions are as follows
if i want to play cricket again from which level i can start and from where because because school and college age is over
and about umpiring
1. should i do any cricket umpiring course to become an umpire or i directly give exams of umpiring
2. How and when to appear for the umpiring exam in India?
3. like i am from ludhiana punjab where i register to give this exam and when

ANSWER: Dear Gursharan,

Thanks for your question.

Play cricket as long as you can and that will keep you fit and fine. Play the game as long as you perform and don't get tired. Try to learn umpiring, while playing cricket. Playing cricket and doing umpiring is totally a different cup of tea.

If you want to take up umpiring you can start at the age of 25. Read 'TOM SMITH'book , Umpiring and Scoring', that is an excellent book, as good as Bible. So purchase the book, try to know all the rules of the game and understand its interpretations. The more you read the laws the more you will learn the Laws. Knowing theory rules is not enough, you must know the applications of the Law when you stand as an umpire.

So you can start doing junior matches, school matches and under '12, '14 matches that will help you lot.

BCCI level-1 exam is to be held this year, but may be postponed till next year. If you really want to take up umpiring, be serious baout it and try to stand in local junior matches, this will help yo a lot.

You must enroll your name with your local cricket associat5ion so that they will help you in this regard. I also wish you to ask me more and more questions so that you can learn through this yahoo experts that will sure help you pass the exam.

With best wishes,

QUESTION: first of all thanks for the reply its very helpful and can you plese suggesst me where i have to register i am from punjab like do you know any proper department where i apply for the exam thank you

ANSWER: Dear Gursharan,

You need to contact at the following address

Punjab Cricket Association Stadium        

Chandigarh, India
Punjab Cricket Association, PCA Cricket Stadium, Sector - 63, SAS Nagar, Mohali - 160059 (Phone: 0172 - 2232300/1/2)

If otherwise you can contact your nearest cricket club, which can lead you to your destination. You can also contact your district cricket association, whichever is close to your residence

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 12/05/2013)

QUESTION: sir thanks for giving your valuable time it will be great helpful now one question about career in cricket please guide me i am from ludhiana punjab age 23 years  right arm medium fast bowler i am practising regularly bt my school and college is over so where i play or giving trials for professional cricket to represent district or state level cricket because after school and college the chances are rare to represent the state or district should i join any college again to playing from the college?? or any other suggesstion

thank you
with best regards,
gursharan singh

Dear Gursharan,

Its better to represent any nearby club, which will be a better platform for your to click and perform. You are just 23 and still have lot of cricketing years in you. If you are really a good cricketer why not join any nearby club. What is required of you is consistent performance and that only counts for any future progress. If you practice for hours and perform in whatever capacity you play, I am sure you can still make a career out of it. So I wish you to immediately join any club and play as many matches as you can and consistency is very much important for you to get recognition.

Hope you will soon join nearby club and will continue to play good cricket.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 19/05/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.