Cricket/decision

Question
QUESTION: Respected  Sir,
Can an umpire give his decision (regarding a wicket,say) if the fielding side does not appeal at all?

ANSWER: Dear Gurwinder,

Thanks for your question.

Appeal is to be made to get the verdict from either umpire. Batsman has every right to stay at the wicket, even though he knows he is out. Once appeal is made he is to be given out or Not out by the umpire, under whose jurisdiction an appeal is applicable.

For example, there is an appeal for stumping, at the same time the ball had also nicked the outside edge of the bat, so it is to be presumed that appeal is made to both the umpires. Now if the bowler's end umpire does not give the batsman out caught behind then the striker's end umpire can give the batsman out stumping, if he was found outside the line.

If there is no appeal, umpire knows he is out, and still the batsman leaves the ground  he is called the normal walker, and his dismissal may be recorded as Retd out, not given out, by either umpire. Normally a batsman gets tired after a long inning and to give other batsmen chance to bat, he leaves with the permission of umpires, his innings is to be regarded as Retd out when an innings ends. But he can resume only with the permission of the opposing captain, if he is required to bat.

Hope this will help you. Thanks for your question.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 17/05/2013)

QUESTION: Sir thanks for the reply!!
As a situation mentioned by you that if there is no appeal, umpire knows the batsman is out but the batsman in  this case doesn't walk. Then can the umpire himself give that out in this case??

Answer
Dear Gurwinder,

No, in spite of knowing that the batsman is out, umpire cannot give him out. This has happened to me in recent T20 matches. There must be an appeal whether a loud or a gentle appeal, but anyhow appeal must be made to get the verdict of either umpire. Batsman has every right to stay at the wicket. But when he is dismissed he has to leave.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Suhas Sapre (19/05/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre