Cricket/hit wicket

Sir a batsmen hit the ball then,
a)what if he hit's the stumps before the ball crossing the boundary.
b)what if he hit's the stumps after the ball crossing the boundary.

Law 35.1 (a) is quite clear:-
"The striker is out Hit wicket if ...
either (i) in the course of any action ... in receiving a delivery,
or (ii) in setting off for his first run immediately after playing or playing at the ball"

In your second case, I think highly unlikely that the striker would be still in either position by the time that the ball reaches the boundary.

In the first case, the umpire will have to decide whether either condition applies.  For example if he starts to run and then comes back, it is too late for Hit Wicket.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998