Cricket/Law 18.11 and 18.12 : Batsmen returning to his original end

Respected Sir ,

Which batsmen will go to which end ?

1) First warning for running on the pitch was already issued for the batting side , on the second such occasion striker runs down the pitch while taking a run and got out RUN OUT at non-striker's end.

2) on deliberate padding both the batsmen attempted the run and striker got run out at non-striker end while taking 1st run.

Mayur Wankhade.

What a fascinating question.  I had to study this one.  I am sure the batting side will feel hard done by to have lost a wicket AND five runs off the same delivery!  It will be a brave umpire who actually does this during the celebrations for the dismissal.

However let us apply logic.  If, for example, the batsmen had attempted three runs, then, under 42.14(b), it is obvious that all runs would have been disallowed and consequently there would be no doubt that the not-out batsman would be returned to his original end.

I believe Law 42 would override Law 18 in your case.

This is simple.  The umpire should not have called Dead Ball since he should not disallow the run until that first run is completed.  Hence, a normal Run Out situation.
If he has called Dead Ball too soon, then the batsman is Not Out.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998