Cricket/Law 21.6(a) and Law 42.17(b) : winning hit and penalty runs

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Consider a scenario where 1 run is required to win.

1) if while both the batsmen completed first run and after that any scenario of award of penalty 5 runs to batting side happens, then how many runs will be scored by batting side on that winning hit ?

e.g illegal fielding happens or ball hit the helmet after completion of first run.

2) if both the batsman crossed for 1st run but not completed and ball reaches the boundary , then does boundary allowance is scored ?

Mayur Wankhade

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for your questions.

1. When one run is required to win, as soon as the batsmen complete 1 run, the match is over, the umpire at the bowler's end shall call "Time". The batting side wins the match, the further actions are to be ignored, whatsoever.

2. Batting side wins when the batsmen cross for the first run, boundary will be ignored. Whenever the result is achieved further actions to be ignored.

Hope this will leave no doubts for you.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 29/05/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks for clarifying my doubts.

But, it will be great if you clear the meaning/interpretation of following two laws to me regarding my FIRST QUESTION :

law 21.6(a)
"(a) As soon as a result is reached as defined in 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5(a) above, the match is at an end. Nothing that happens thereafter, except as in Law 42.17(b) (Penalty runs), shall be regarded as part of it."

and Law 42.17(b)
"(b) Notwithstanding the provisions, of Law 21.6 (Winning hit or extras), penalty runs shall be awarded in each case where the Laws require the award."

Doesn't above two Law mean that 5 run penalty award are independent of winning hit/match at end and will be awarded if law requires their award ?
kindly correct me if i am wrong

i have another doubt regarding my SECOND QUESTOIN :

Law 21.6 (c) says

"(c) If a boundary is scored before the batsmen have completed sufficient runs to win the match, the whole of the boundary allowance shall be credited to the sideís total and, in the case of a hit by the bat, to the strikerís score."

Law mentions the completion of sufficient runs ,  does just crossing of both the batsmen is equivalent to completion of run ? OR they need to make their ground good at their corresponding ends ? i said they have just crossed for the 1st run, what if they have not completed it all after ball reaches the boundary ?

kindly clear my doubts since its very important to know the correct meaning/interpretation of the laws.

thanks you so much for answering my questions on regular basis and clearing my doubts time to time , its really helping me to grow myself in umpiring with correct knowledge. i really appreciate your efforts.

Mayur Wankhade.

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for getting back to me to clear your doubts, and that as far as completed runs are concerned, the batsmen need to complete the run, i.e. they both should make their home before the ball crossing the fence. If the completed runs are enough to win the match, before ball crossing the fence, the boundary will not be scored. But if they have crossed, but not completed the run, and the ball crosses the boundary before they complete the run, the whole of the boundary will be scored.

Thanks for getting back to me clear your doubts. Once again I appreciate your constant reading and knowing more about the rules. Hats off to you. Keep it up.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 05/06/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

thanks for clearing the doubt in easiest way possible .

You have answered second question of my above follow-up questions.

I will be thankful to you if you answer my 1st question in follow-up regarding law 21.6(a) and 42.17(b). After your answer on that , my doubts on award of penalty run on winning hit delivery will certainly get cleared.
I asked you same question on your yahoo ID also.
kindly get back to me on the same topic .

I am doing good in matches than earlier. Improving match by match. your consistence efforts helping me a lot .

Mayur Wankhade.

Dear Mayur,

Thanks for following up the proper rules and required applications of the Laws.

You want to clear your doubts in respect of the following.

law 21.6(a)

and Law 42.17(b)

If either side wins the match, the other things should be irrelevant. But if there is any penalty results from that last delivery (from which the result is achieved) the penalty will be added to either side, and that will effect the result. Suppose the lat pair is batting and they need 1 runs to win. A batsman hits the ball in the air, the fielder or the bowler is about to take the catch, one of the batsman obstructs the catch, and the fielder drops it. There is an appeal for obstructing the field. The striker will be given out and not only that 5 penalty runs will be awarded to the fielding side, which results in batting side lost by virtue of penalty runs, i.e.

Side A Scored 255 all our (50)
Side B Scored 255 all out (50)
In this case the match should be "TIE",
But as a result of that penalty of 5 runs, the side batting wine the match by 5 penalty runs.
Only (last) fielding side can win the match by penalty runs.

Even if the last ball was a No ball, the batsman (who obstructed) would have been oupenalty runs would have been scored and the fielding side would have won by 4 penalty runs. (5-1).

So I have cited one of the example to clear your doubts regarding the referred Laws.

Hope this is very much clear and you will also like it.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 9/06/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.