Cricket/Law 26 : bye and leg bye

QUESTION: Respected sir ,

i have few questions which comes under the mentioned law.

1) On a NO BALL , runs completed or boundary allowance from ball deflected off striker's person can't be scored as leg byes since those are NO BALL extras , right ?

2) In such case umpire will signal only ( No ball ) + ( boundary  allowance ) if any, right ?

3) Consider a situation of pad - bat case. ( ball strikers person first and then make inadvertent contact with bat ). Are these are leg byes or No leg byes signal is to be made and runs credited to striker as normal case ?

4)  If for NO BALL , umpire will never going to signal leg bye to scorer either with subsequent inadvertent contact with bat or no subsequent contact with the bat , then how scorer will come to know that whether runs are to be credited to striker or not ?

Mayur wankhade.

ANSWER: You are quite right that they are scored as No Ball Extras and not as Leg Byes (Law 24.13).  

Consequently the umpire should signal BYE (to indicate extras) rather than LegBye.

In every other way, the umpire should apply the normal Laws regarding whether Leg Byes should be awarded or disallowed.

Law 24.13 Runs resulting from a No ball - how scored
The one run penalty shall be scored as a No ball extra. If other penalty runs have been awarded to either side these shall be scored as stated in Law 42.17 (Penalty runs). Any runs completed by the batsmen or any boundary allowance shall be credited to the striker if the ball has been struck by the bat; otherwise they shall also be scored as No ball extras

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

thanks for your reply.

i have another short question to clear my doubts :

If on a NO BALL , the ball gets deflected of striker's pad alone when he attempted to play the ball and ball subsequently crosses the boundary.
Then what are all the signals umpire shall make to scorers and in which order?

Mayur Wankhade.

Assuming it is a foot fault, as soon as the bowler delivers the ball the umpire will call and signal No Ball for the benefit of the players.

When the ball corsses the boundary, it becomes Dead.

A this point the umpire should turn to the scorer,
repeat the No Ball signal (no need to call),
await acknowledgement from scorer,
signal Bye and await second acknowledgement
finally signal Boundary Four and get third acknowledgement.

This sequence is recommended for two reasons:
1 - sequence of events
2 - scorer will be expecting Boundary signal but not the other two - if boundary was signalled first, then (s)he might stop looking.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998