A fielder is forced to leave the field for attention to a minor injury. He has been absent for 32
minutes when play is suspended due to heavy rain. When play resumes at the end of the
interruption, which has lasted for 24 minutes, the injured player returns with his side. The captain
asks you when the player will be allowed to bowl. How do you answer the query?

According to me That fielder can ball whenever his captain wants him to ball. But As It is written in Lords Website The answer is 8 minutes.
Why will the fielder wait for 8 minutes to be able to bowl. He has been off the field only for 8 minutes.

but the Law states that if a fielder is out of the ground for 15 minutes or more then he is bound to spend that amount of time before he can bowl for which he has been off the field. But if a fielder has been out of the ground for less than 15 minutes then he can bawl whee ever his captain wants him to bowl. So in my first question fielder had been off the field for 32 minutes but there was interruption for 24 minutes, so the fielder actually had been off the ground only for 8 minutes because he returns back on the field with his team as well as the interruption was over. so I think the time of his absence from the field is not countable at all. thus he must be permitted to bowl at once if his captain wants him to bowl..
Your valuable answer will solve my query.

If I understand your question correctly, rephrasing it into 24 hour clock:
10:00 Fielder leaves field (legitimately)
10:32 Play suspended due to rain
10:56 Play resumes (and Fielder returns)

10:00-10:32 fielder has been absent 32 minutes.  Law 2.5(c)
He must therefore serve 32 minutes penance

10:32-10:56 fielder deemed to have served 24 minutes penance
Law 2.5(c)(iii) The time lost for an unscheduled break in play shall be counted as time on the field of play for any fielder who comes on to the field at the resumption of play after the break

He has to serve a further 8 minutes penance.

ALTERNATIVELY, did you mean:
12:00 Fielder leaves field (legitimately)
12:08 Play suspended due to rain
12:32 Play resumes (and Fielder returns)

In that situation, the fielder has only been absent for 8 minutes of playing time and has no penance to serve.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998