I am 35 and would like to pursue umpiring as a career option. Starting at this age, how much time will it take to at least reach the national level. Secondly, how to prepare for the BCCI exams. Do I need to know all the laws by heart, how are the questions asked. For eg. Law 1 has many subsections like 1.1, 1.2, do I need to know all these. Thirdly, I am located at Pune and when I contacted the MCA they told me to wait for the advertisement which will be published in June. According to you, in which newspaper is this advertised.

I would really appreciate your answers regarding these questions.

ANSWER: Dear Binu Skaria,

Thanks and welcome to this yahoo experts.

This is the right age for you to taking up umpiring. You have to work hard and start doing school and junior matches. You must not waste time and you must join a club where you can play and can stand at the nets for this purpose. Playing cricket will help you to more about the game. This will also help you to follow and understand the Laws easily.

You need to purchase TOM SMITH, "Cricket Umpiring and Scoring", from Marine Sports, Gokhale Road, Dadar (North). This is the Bible of cricket Laws. The more your read this book the more you will learn and follow them. Mere theory does not help becoming an umpire,but you need to stand in as many matches as you can to feel about the umpiring. So if you take up umpiring right now, you can definitely reach the national level in 5 to 6 years, depending on your success. The BCCI level-1 exam is very much due this year, but may be postponed till next year, due to reasons known to the BCCI.  So you need to read and remember all the 42 Laws by using Law-43 Common Sense.  For any difficulties, I am here to update your knowledge.

Mantra for success is "Read, understand and application of the Laws. Must have good hand writing and good communication skill to overcome any difficulties for exam and interview. Must have good writing practice and method of answers.

Hope this is good enough right now. For further questions and guidance you are most welcome and I am here to guide you further when required. Please keep your eyes on local newspaper, Marathi as well as English edition for advertisement.

With regards and best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 15/05/2013)

QUESTION: Thank you very much sir for your very precise answer. I have one more query sir. The other day I came across BCCI playing condition laws, there are some changes as compared to the MCC laws, for eg. Law 2 regarding substitutes, like no runner allowed for batsman and also the time mentioned for an absent fielder is different. In exam, which law should I follow?

Also sir, are there any model answers and questions which might be asked in the exam? Are there any umpires in Pune whom I can get in touch with?

Thank you again sir for taking your precious time to answer all these queries.

God bless u

Dear Binu Skaria,

Thanks for getting back to me. Laws are formed and brought into action by the MCC. One cannot change Law, but rules. So each country, depending upon their geographical and other situations, form their own playing condition suitable to their own country. So, the host country and the visiting country have to agree to that playing condition and have to sign the agreement.

There are certain Laws, which remain unchanged over the years, whereas these laws are amended and put into action by various countries. As you have mention absent time, No runner  is allowed and even a new ball can be claimed after 75 (670) overs are completed. So likewise, there are certain rules which are framed into playing conditions.

Law can be amended only after Special General Meeting, with some specialized members of the MCC, that too after studying the whole details of any such events. Laws cannot be changed but amended when the MCC feels ok after lengthy discussions.

Hope this will help you, and mind well, in exam, you have to follow and read the instructions, which are specific, whether to use or not the playing conditions. With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 16/05/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.