Cricket/Umpiring

Question
Hello sir,
My name is Gourav Sathe nd my age is 27.I want to take umpiring as a profession.From couple of weeks I am gng through ur blog nd gng through the question of my fellow friends.I am very much interested in taking umpiring as a profession.Basically I m from Karnataka but now shifted to Pune. Before registering to MCA I want to go through the rules book so I would be confident b4 entering into the stadium.I have bought the MCC rules book.I used to play cricket in junior levels.I had a few questions-
1* Is umpiring a good job as a long time profesional career option.
2* What should be the minimum eyesight to become a umpire.
3* I want to fully concentrate on d coming local level entrance exam so that I would qualify for the BCCI Level 1 exam.
4* Is it necessary to stand in local matches to qualify for the local assctn exam, I mean to say if I didnt get the opprtnty to do umpiring in local matches I can just stay outside nd watch the matches so tht I will clear the doubts nd can get that feeling and tht touch too to gain my confidence back.
5* As I am amateur gve me some valuable tips so that it can help me to give out d inner fear nd can gain my confidence back.
6* If psble plz let me know what are the hurdles that I can face initially. It might be a silly question to ask u bt it just came into my nd I wanted to ask it.
I will be gratfull to you if you clear my doubts.

Rgds
Gourav Sathe

Answer
Dear Gourav,

Hi Gourav, thanks for series of questions, I would answer them in order,

It's a tough and challenging job. If you have played good amount of cricket, not necessary first class cricket, I am sure it will help you to understand the Laws a bit easily. You must have played a bit of cricket and you must have passion to take up umpiring. Standing in both scorching sun and coldest atmosphere.  You may progress step by step, and it will just make you realize.  

Better eyesight with even spectacles will do. With specs you must possess good eye sight. There is no specific requirement of eye sight.

You just get your name registered with your local cricket association. You need to stand in local matches for at least couple of years before becoming eligible for BCCI level-1 exam. Read and understand all 42 Laws by using your personal Law-No. 43 i.e. Common Sense
It is how quickly you follow the Laws and apply them on the field of play is very much important. Read Tom Smith's Cricket Umpiring and Scoring, which is considered to be a Bible of Cricket Laws.You can purchase it from Marine Sports, Dadar Mumbai. The book will cost you Rs.1000/- only, but you must read and follow this Law Book. I am sure it will help you a lot.

you need to stand in friendly matches, school matches to start with. This will help you a lot. You must practice umpiring in nets, too, where boys practice. The more you stand in the nets, the more easy for you to give better decisions.

5* As I am amateur give me some valuable tips so that it can help me to give out  dinner fear nd can gain my confidence back.

1.   Have patience and great devotion to take up umpiring
2.   Learn the cricket laws and start doing low level local matches
3.   Enroll your name with your local association and if possible join the membership
4.   As long as you are available and whatever opportunity comes in your way, you utilize the best of time for umpiring in local matches.
5.   Be polite and keep yourself as low profile
6.   Try to get in touch with best of Sr. Umpires around your association
7.   Make any Sr. Umpire your Mentor (guru) to learn the primary lessons
8.   Keep only one mentor and have good understanding with him
9.   Read TOM SMITH’s Bible “Cricket Umpiring & Scoring “ latest edition which you can purchase from any sports boutiques or from Marine Sports, Mumbai
10.   Read, understand and interpret all the laws. Keep noting down points for conclusive decision
11.   Get the ‘catch’ word to understand the laws
12.   Be ready to stand for 6  to 8 hours in scorching sun or in cold
13.   Keep yourself fit for the job, physical fitness is as important as to a player
14.   Umpire needs lots of concentration and good thinking
15.   There are 42 laws you have to master but the most important is the Law No.43, and I.e., Common Sense
16.   One must have good command over English language to take up umpiring exam and to have better communication with the players
17.   Career always comes first and all such hobbies afterwards. See that you settle in your life and don’t treat umpiring as your bread and butter. But once you become a first class umpire then you can become professional umpire

No hurdles. Get on with the business as fast as you can. Dare to stand in matches and dare to give decision, which you feel ok. There is no need to keep any fear in mind, but you must gather good courage to stand in more matches. The more you officiate in matches, the more you will become bold.

Hope this is good enough. For any cricket umpiring questions,. you can get back to me any time for any questions.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 19/05/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre