Cricket/Very Confusing

Question
QUESTION: 1.Toss has taken place 30 mins. before resumption of play and the winning captain elects to bat first,10 mins. later it rains. Can the the winning captain revers his decision?

2.In running up to delivery,a bowler spots that the batsman is standing out of his ground.Quick as a flash he throws the ball with all his might,catches the striker by surprise and the ball breaks the wicket and an appeal is made.What will be the further occurence?

ANSWER: Hi Rajesh,

Very good morning and thanks for your questions.

(1)  Your question is with referent to the Law:12.4 THE TOSS and 12.5 DECISION TO BE NOTIFIED.

The law has clear cut instructions of once the toss is done, the winning captain will have to declare to the other captain and the umpire his choice of batting first of fielding first. Once he has stated his choice, there are no circumstances in which it can be changed.

(2) Second question is with reference to law:24.4-BOWLEDR THROWING TOWARDS STRIKER'S END BEFORE DELIVERY

Occasionally, if the striker appears to be well in front of the crease or even advancing well up the pitch, the bowler will try to run him out and is permitted to do so. If he throws the ball at the striker's wicket the umpire does not have to divine his intention.

If the bowler makes such a throw after entering his delivery stride, No ball is to be called by either umpire with all possible consequences from that delivery.

If, however, he throws before entering his delivery stride, the call of No ball is still to be made, and if the striker is attempting a run, he is to be given Run out, otherwise, if the bowler succeeds in breaking the striker's wicket, he is neither out bowled nor Run out (in case of not attempting a run (from a No ball).  Any runs result from that throw may be credited to the bowler's analysis, if batsman succeeds to play with his bat, and if any runs result they will be scored as 1 No ball penalty+ runs scored shall be credited to the striker's account.

Law 24.2 (a) shall not be applicable ( caution, informing final warning actin will not apply here).

Hope this will satisfy your queries. Thanks for coming out with good questions. Your questions are always welcome and I love to answer them. Enjoy your umpiring with quality and stand in as many matches as possible to gain on field experience.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 20/03/013)

QUESTION: But Sir in the second case the batsman is not attempting a run,he is just taking his batting stance just outside the batting crease

And sir Please if u don't mind I have 1 more question

The batting side need 4 to win off the last ball of the match. The bowler bowls a ball a long way wide of the off stump. In exasperation, the striker throws his bat at the ball. The bat hits the ball which is diverted past the slips and runs towards the boundary. What will be the procedure in this situation?

Answer
Dear Rajesh,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Batsman standing at his normal stance outside the popping crease. If a bowler now wants to get him run out and throws at the striker's end, it is going to be a No ball, for Bowling action, right. Here the striker not attempting to take run, he is not out off a no ball. Any runs result from that throw shall be scored as No ball, unless batsman makes a successful contact with the bat. Why should there be confusion?

All the time in the history of the game of cricket, normally all the batsmen take their stance outside the popping crease when they face medium fast bowlers or fast bowlers. Secondly all the batsmen take their stance with each leg on either side of the popping crease (or both legs behind the popping crease) when they face spinners. It is by convention.

So here the batsman standing at his right stance and I have never come across that bowler has attempted to run the striker out. Certain Laws are there just to avoid any untoward incidents and generally there are hardly an occasion in the career of an umpire, that they come across such incidents.

In your further query, it is more of a hypothetical question and it has never happened in the history of cricket, at least in my 35 years of umpiring I have never come across either of these incidents.

There is no scope for hypothetical question as far as cricket umpiring exam is concerned.

Wide is only called and signalled after the bass has crossed the striker's wicket. When batsman attempts at the ball wide off the off stump, why should umpire make haste to call it wide ball. When ball is not wide, let the runs be scored for batting side, when he happens to throw his bat at the ball and the ball after hitting the bat goes to the boundary, Declare boundary and batting side wins the match.

So avoid hypothetical questions in cricket. They are never asked in exam. Ok are your doubts cleared?

Thanks again for getting back to me.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (baroda 23/06/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre