Cricket/Field restriction

Sir, if the fielding side starts their innings with only nine players or less, in such a situation can umpires allow two fielders outside inner circle or should all the players remain inside inner circle during first block of power play?

This will depend on the wording of the special regulations for each particular competition.

Some say "not more than 2 players outside" and others say "at least 9 players inside".  If it is the latter, then that is very unfortunate for a side with fewer players.  

If I were writing regulations, then I would prefer the former.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998