Cricket/Law 22: The Over

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir,

How to answer such a question. I mean , the way the answer is expected.

Can a bowler bowl two consecutive overs in a MATCH ? ( True/False )

here match is mentioned and not the innings. law restricts on bowling two consecutive full or part overs in an innings. But there can be exception if follow-on is given or in case of forfeiture when bowler can bowl two consecutive overs but from two different innings.

Kindly share your views on this.

Thanks
Mayur Wankhade

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Very good morning.

The question in reference is refereed to match and not innings. You have clean understanding of a bowler not being allowed to bowl two consecutive overs or part thereof in an innings. But the said question is related to match. So remember the catch word as I had said earlier. Here the catch word is match and for that reason, the sentence is true. A bowler who has bowled the last over in the previous innings can bowl the first over of the next inning in the event of follow on or forfeiture of the innings. In both these cases, the same bowler who bowled the last over in the previous inning can open the bowling in second inning. So it is as good as a bowler has bowled two consecutive overs in a match and not an innings.

Likewise, always remember the words, last over of the match and last over of the innings, two different things.

Hope this is good enough for clarification to your confusion.

Thanks again. With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 28/06/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks, for short and nice explanation. It's very Important to differentiate between the things in cricket to have through and error free understanding. Sometimes even every word mentioned in law has its own significance and meaning towards certain application. for instance OUT and DISMISSAL are two different terminologies with two different meanings.

Thanks again for answering my questions on regular basis. It helps me a lot. :)

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade

Answer
Hi Mayur,

Thanks for your comments and that you have developed very good understanding of terminology with regards to certain catch words. So I am sure in the days to come you will perform better and better and will soon get the BCCI umpiring cap for your onward ambition of becoming ICC panel umpire. I feel good qualities in you and I am sure that will help you a lot. Only the thing one should be careful about is that success should never go over the head. Be polite in your words and gesture and keep your passion and love for the game. Win the hearts of the players with your unbiased decisions and ruling.

One of the viewers like you, have asked for your contact. Mr. Binu. He enquirers as under, this is for your kind information. Should I pass on your contact information? Or will be able to contact him?

I have noticed that Mayur Wankhede from Pune has been asking a lot of questions. I presume he is already umpiring. Sir, is it possible for you to give me his contact details so that I can contact him and know how to proceed with things practically. I also stay in Pune. It will be a great help for me to just start with things.

With best wishes for your future success.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 30/06/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre