Cricket/Match

Question
QUESTION: hello sir,
         what are the rules(conditions) of the icc when a close relative of the player dies when the match is taking place and he has alerdy batted?

ANSWER: Dear Sai Dutta,

If any player who is to leave all of a sudden due to death of his relative, can leave so by informing both the umpires and opposite captains, to enable his captain to claim a substitute by right. The umpires will have the discretion power to allow a substitute for the reason mentioned. He can join the team later on at any time without any penalty, for both batting and bowling. He can bat and bowl, immediately on his return to the field of play. This is one of the exceptional reasons for umpires to use their discretion power and opposite captain shall have no right of objection.

Hope this will clear your doubts.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 20/06/2013)

QUESTION: 1) Then sir what if he goes out of the stadium after batting in the first innings and dosen't return to the field can a new player be called to bat in the second innings ?

2)the match had started and the playes is in playing XI fields for 30 mion and dosen't bowl then after leaving the field can a playing XI be changed and a new player can bat?bowl ?

Answer
Hi Sai,

Very good morning and thanks for getting back to me to clear your doubts.

Irrespective of position of either side in a match, if a player is happened to leave the ground for any reasons, and replacement is refused, no other player can participate in that match other than being allowed to field for substitute.

So here a player has batted and left the field for some exceptional reasons and could not return or there was no chance of his return to his side in the match, no other player can bat or bowl or keep wickets, on his behalf. Only Umpires may allow a player to act as a substitute in the match.

(2) The situation narrated by you never happens in the competitive game of cricket. But the umpires may come across such situation in local tournaments.

A nominated player cannot be changed. Captains have to nominate their side before the toss. Once the list of players exchanged, and given to the umpires, it cannot be changed, unless a captain request the opposing captain to allow him to replace any fielder who might get injured before the actual play starts and if he permits, then and then you can change a player from the nominated list of players.

Once the match has started, no player can be changed, and still you can change with the permission of the opposing captain with mutual agreement.

If you are permitted by the opposing captain to replace a player, then he can take full part in the match.

Hope this is very clear to you.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 23/06/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre