Cricket/query

Question
hi sir,
i have a degree in statistics from the Delhi University and I wish to pursue a career as a cricket statistician. kindly advise on the kind of qualifications and procedure required to do so.
also if you could help me in finding an internship.

thank you
regards
Astha

Answer
Dear Astha,

Yours is a very good concept and that you want to become a statistician. Becoming statistician is no more a joke, its a very tedious and thankless job without much reward. There are a handful statisticians in India. The game of cricket has been passing through sea changes. Maintaining records and updating records is too difficult in cricket. Lot of tournaments and different version of the games, have made this too difficult. For this you need to collect day to day data of each and every individual, their personal profile, too. There are many countries participating at International level and collecting day to day statistics can be a tedious job.

First of all you need to collect all data of all cricketers from net. There may be many sites available to download career's figures of all cricketers and then you need to update all records with the on gong matches. Different countries, different players, different version of the games, and different tournaments around the world means, lot of work to be done to compile all statistics. So just try all these things and think yourself, whether you can do it all these things.

I had also started all these things in seventies but could unable to continue with that as more and more responsibilities in life come in the way. I had no computers that time to make the task easy. I agree that computer work can ease all the difficulties I had faced.

So you just start working on these and can provide the statistics to the BCCI, they may look for some statisticians to compile day to day figures.

So just go ahead with your interest and hobby with all devotion and passion. You may succeed in your attempts.

With best wishes,

SUhas Sapre (Baroda 16/06/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre