Hope you are fine. I want to known under what situations a dead ball is counted of the over and not counted of the over. Also, in an overthrow, a batsman takes one run and crosses for the second when the ball reaches the boundary and in another situation, the batsman takes 2 runs and crosses for the third when the ball reaches the boundary, how many runs are scored in both the situations. Can you please explain sir?

Thanks and regards,

ANSWER: Hi Binu,

Very good morning.

Regarding dead ball, not to be counted as one in the over and not counted as one in the over.

When a ball which has been delivered is called dead or is to be considered to be dead then, it will not count in the over if the striker has not had an opportunity to play it
and it will be a valid ball if the striker has had an opportunity to play it, unless No ball or Wide ball has been called.

There are two important points about the striker not being ready.

If he was not ready and still attempted to play the ball, then this will not give him protection but if he just moves out of that delivery for some reasons that he was not ready would protect him for genuine reasons and this genuine action will allow an additional delivery.  But if the action of the striker was a deliberate attempt to avoid dismissal or time wasting, either of these would mean an unfair play and umpire can take action under Law 42.

Anything that the umpire  considers has distracted the striker during his receiving delivery, umpire requires to call and signal Dead ball and that delivery will not be counted in the over.

In short the basic determining factor is whether or not the striker has had the opportunity to play the ball.

(2-a) Also, in an overthrow, a batsman takes one run and crosses for the second when the ball reaches the boundary.................

There is an overthrow in attempt to run out either batsman, and the batsman crosses for the second run before ball crossing the boundary only 4 runs will be scored.

In normal circumstances when a boundary is scored the allowance replaces any runs that the batsmen may have completed

(2-b) and in another situation, the batsman takes 2 runs and crosses for the third when the ball reaches the boundary.............................

The action of throw is important then the crossing of the ball. So the throw is made at the time of crossing, that run will count in addition to the boundary. So here 2 + 4= 6 runs, as they have crossed when the ball reaches the boundary. 3 + 4= 7 runs would have been scored had they crossed before (the actual action of) the throw.

If they have run and crossed on more than the allowance, these runs replaces the boundary. If the batsmen crossed for the 5th run before ball crossing the boundary, it will replace the boundary and 5 runs will be scored.

Hope this will clear your doubts. Enjoy your umpiring without tension. Your questions are vary precious so just clear your doubts, if any. Lets come and enjoy.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 16/06/2013)

QUESTION: Thank you Sir for your answer,

I have noticed that Mayur Wankhede from Pune has been asking a lot of questions. I presume he is already umpiring. Sir, is it possible for you to give me his contact details so that I can contact him and know how to proceed with things practically. I also stay in Pune. It will be a great help for me to just start with things.

Thanks and regards,

Hi Binu,

Following are the contact and email address of Mayur Wankhede, who is always in touch with me and keep on asking good questions. Hope he will help you a lot personally in Pune.

•   Contact No:  9028351889 ( personal no )  / 9673995630 ( Mother’s no )

•   Office contact no : 020 2566 1992273

•   Email Addresses

This information is given after confirmation of Mayur.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 8/7/2013

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.