Cricket/run out situation

Question
The injured striker has played the ball and starts to run. He crosses with the non-striker but the runner has stayed in his ground. A fielder throws the ball to the wicket-keeper who fairly puts the wicket down at the striker's end. Who is Out & why ?

Answer
Dear Vineet,

Very good morning dear.

The Runner has become past in cricket. No Runner is allowed whatsoever. As most of the batsmen at the crease have happened to claim Runner to take disadvantage of the situation and hence the Law has recently been amended and No runner henceforth is allowed.

Now answer to your narrated incident as per the earlier Law is as under.

Injured Striker - A, Non Striker- B, & Runner is C (for Inj Batsman)

Now A has played the ball and started taking run, and crossed with B, and the throw comes at the keeper's end and WK removes the bails, in this situation, A himself is out. Send C t his original end and new batsman will take the striker.

Law 2.8.(c)
When a batsman who has a runner he remains himself  subject to the Laws and will be liable to the penalties that any infringement of them demands.

Additionally, if he is out of his ground when the wicket at the wicket keeper's end is put down by the action of a fielder then, irrespective of the position of the non striker and the runner,
He is out Run out,

He is out stumped if the delivery is not a No ball and the wicket is fairly put down by the WK without the intervention of another fielder

If he is dismissed, runs completed by the runner and the other batsman before the wicket is put down shall be disallowed. However penalties awarded to either side shall stand.

Remember few points here,

Injured batsman is always out at the WK's end.
If Injured batsman is out no runs will be scored.
If Injured batsman is out, the new batsman will take strike, irrespective of the position of the Runner and the non striker
Injured batsman's ground is always at the WK's end and that is why he can be dismissed at WK's end.

Hope this is clear. Thanks for your question. Your questions are precious for me and gives me immense joy to answer them. So welcome and ask more questions on umpiring.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 16/06/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre