Cricket/Cricket carrier

Hi sir, my age is 28. From childhood i had a dream of being a cricketer. But due to financial condition i was not able to get into cricket. I have played lot of gully cricket in childhood. After graduation i started working for bpo. At the age of 27 i got cricket coaching at hyderabad. I do bpo job from night 8.45pm to morning 6.30am and cricket pratice from evening 4.30pm to 6.30pm. I have played some matchs of hyderabad cricket league. I am passinated about cricket. Whenever i see or read inspiration or motivated thing i start thinking of cricket that hope i would be a professional cricketer. Tell me at this age, if i leave  everything and start my cricket carrier will i able to reach internationl cricket team?
If yes, help me to leave everything.

Dear Pradip,

I understand your love and passion for the game of cricket. I am writing you this not to discourage you but to alert you and try to bring awareness about actual status in life. India is a highly populated country and there are lacs of people take up cricket,everybody dreams to be a cricketer, including myself. But would you imagine hardly 10% of them get chance to play national level and hardly 2 to 4% play for the Indian team. To become a cricketer, you need 50% practice and hard work, and 30% should be in blood and 20% luck. Based on all these aspect, you must think and decide about your career. It is always personal career to be given priority before anything else. You are thinking of becoming a cricketer at the age of 27, is not advisable because the present game of cricket is too fast and has different formats, too. It is very difficult to adopt to the different format of the game. Even if you play, you won't survive for more than 5 years.

Playing cricket for fun and fitness has no limit, you can continue to play cricket as long as you wish, but there is a limit to competitive cricket. Cricketers are no more, once they finish their career, but to remain with the game with love and passion, I would advise you to take up cricket umpiring, that will keep you for years together in the game of cricket. Not only you will enjoy the game from 22 yards but it will also earn you name and fame along with money. And if your interest is diverted to this, I would say age is on your side to take up umpiring seriously and fulfill your dream. I had also all talent to be a good cricketer in my days, but as I belonged to a rural area which had no exposure to get more opportunities to play competitive cricket and no body was there to coach us. But still I represented to my Inter college and Universities during those days, that was the only consolation for my passion. Realizing my passion and love for the game, I had decided to become umpire and scorer, too. So that is the life, you have to compromise.

So age is on your side for you to decide on your career. I am not sure how much I have satisfied you with my answer, but I do hope this will help you to think seriously about your career in cricket. Hope you will take this as positively and not hurt your mind.

With best wishes for your career,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 21/07/2013)  

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.