Cricket/Cricket Umpire

QUESTION: As per the contact information of karnataka state cricket association given by u I contacted them and they informed the exam may be held in October. Can i directly appear for the level-1 exam or there is another exam before that which I have to pass ? Also I tried reaching u on ur yahoo email but it seems u dont check that very often.

ANSWER: Dear Anoop Singh,

Very good morning. Let me say sorry for the delay and that my net was not working for last 5 days due to heavy rain and some digging up work by the corporation. I also remain busy with my bank's job from 8 am  to 9 pm. So please bear with my situation, but I will do attend my viewers to guide them.

Regarding the level 1 exam, it is up to your local cricket association to decide to allow the number of candidates. Preferably they select the required candidates from the regular and senior candidates. If you fit in that criteria, I don't think they can disallow you an opportunity. You can appeal directly in level-1 exam, so get well prepared for any exam that may come up in your way.

Wish you all the best. Read and understand the laws and write down to get back to me for any difficulties. Your questions are always welcome.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 17072013)

QUESTION: Thanku sir. So is tom smith's cricket umpiring book sufficient to clear the level 1 or any other exam taken for a amateur like me ? If not, what needs to be done ? I guess without clearing any exam I may not be able to stand in any matches. Basically how best I can prepare for my first umpiring exam ? I have only played school cricket.

Dear Anoop Singh,

TOM SMITH's book is a Bible of cricket Laws. Additionally you can down loan OPEN MANUAL from MCC site, which is also a excellent material and will be very helpful for your formal knowledge. The only mantra is read and understand the Laws. Keep on reading them. Have good writing practice so that you will be able to remember them for long time. Neat and clean hand writing is required to impress the examiners. You must have good communication skill of cricket language.

Wherever you have doubts, note down on paper and do come out to clear your doubts through this help line. I am always here to guide you. You must know the method of answering questions. You must not add anything extra other then what you are asked. Do as many matches as you can or you can stand in nets of players practicing in club. You can have permission from their coach or ground authority. They will definitely help you. Also do take initiative to stand in practice matches so that you will feel the experience of umpiring. Always start with all courage and confidence. I am sure you will follow this and will do matches/

Hope this will help you a lot. Do ask any questions, to clear your doubts in future. Your questions are always welcome.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (19/07/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.