Cricket/about cricket umpiring

Question
Hi sir,
I am just 19 doing  engineering in civil in an well autonomous and government institute,now in a 2nd year.Sir i am playing professional cricket since when i am 10 yr old but there are not much more achievements with me.I was playing school level matches.Recently i had played MCA U19 tournaments and playing federation matches in a national level.Now i am part of my college team for zonal tournaments.I want to become a cricketer but it is not  much possible with doing an engineering so to link with cricket i have decided to prepare for a umpiring exams to become an good high level cricket umpire.Also i give my 100% to my cricket career if it is.
   Sir i had not any knowledge about this umpiring exams and also not known what is the exact age criteria for this.
   So do some help to me and may also give me some advice about my future that what should i do.
   Thank u sir."

Answer
Dear Akshay,

Hi, very good morning.

After reading the contents of your question, I can understand your frustration or impatient. I would tell you that you are just 19, and why should not continue to play and perform, may any day your performance get enhanced with hard and constant practice at the nets. Never think negative. Negative thoughts will always lead to towards failure. So you must play and enjoy your cricketing days. Learn umpiring while playing cricket, this is one of the best course to learn umpiring. I feel you should continue to play till 25 years of age and just work hard with all passion and dedication. Always grab the opportunity to play as many matches as you can, and remember you are playing to perform not to enjoy only. You must learn to enjoy the game with better performances. If you are a batsman, you must perform and score runs and maintain consistency so that your graph of confidence goes up and up and never let it down by negative thoughts. I am sure you must have talent, as you said you have had represented at national level, so why not concentrate and work hard for few more years to achieve the goal.

About umpiring, the minimum age criteria is 25 and the maximum is 45. So I personally feel that you may read and learn cricketing Laws during your playing days. If you don't have any books you can down load from website or you can purchase a Bible of Cricket Law Book, i.e. TOM SMITH'S CRICKET UMPIRING AND SCORING", from Mr. Theo Bregenza, Marine Sports, 9-A, Gokhale Road, Dadar Mumbai. If you order the book, you will get the copy of that by VPP. The book will cost you around Rs. 1000/-, you can also order a small pocket book, too along with that.

So have patience, enjoy your cricketing days, read and understand interpretations of the Laws. Keep reading all the Laws as many times as you can, underline important points. And I am here to take care of your any umpiring questions for the preparation of your exam when you become eligible.

Hope this will help you a lot and I am sure you will follow my advice and will play and enjoy the game of cricket positively.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 8/7/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre