Cricket/Why not given LBW

When a ball after being played can be stopped with foot or bat while rolling to stumps to prevent himself getting out. Acceptable. Why the batsman is not given out LBW when the ball hits the body and if the batstman stops the ball with his foot or leg exactly in front of stumps since it has not taken edge.  Kindly explain.

Law 36.2 (a) is quite clear "In assessing points (c), (d) and (e) in 1 above, only the FIRST interception is to be considered."

I guess that this is specified for a number of reasons.  Probably the major reason is that LBW must be as a direct result of the bowler trying to hit the wicket and not of any subsequent deflection.  It would also be very difficult for an umpire to judge a second angle of travel.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998