Cricket/Helping your colleague while doing Striker's end responsibilites

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Some times it becomes difficult for your bowler's end umpire partner to collect some of the facts happen with ball after it is delivered.
As a striker's end umpire how would you help your colleague in efficient and fluent way so that no one can notice and your job is done?

There are many things for which the Strikers end umpire is in better position to provide the facts.

Another question,
Sometimes it becomes difficult standing as bowler's end umpire when you expect your partner will provide certain facts and he was even not aware of these helping services. How to adjust ourselves as bowler's end umpire  in such situations?

waiting for your valuable words.

thanks,
Mayur Wankhade

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Oh great of you to ask a very practical question, where most of the umpires don't get the support from their colleagues. I feel personally, to be on the safer side and to be the best umpire, One must rely on his own. The opening batsman, when they are playing first time as a pair, they find it difficult with their understanding, and a few pair of openers get used to each other with their understanding. Likewise, in umpiring there must be good understanding between them to follow each other and must have confidence in each other's performance. It is difficult to cope up with the new partner, with understanding.

I always feel and have experienced, that the Striker's end umpire is always heavily loaded with more duties to perform and still he is in a better position to support his colleague. I need not mention his duties here but how and where he can support his colleague is very important. You can only expect him to offer helps, such as when the ball whether has touched the bat or person of the striker, whether its a leg bye or not all these striker's end umpire can indicate to his colleague. When there is an appeal of LBW, whether the striker has got an edge, whether the striker is standing too far from the popping crease, whether the the ball would have missed the height of the striker or not, so you can expect all such help from your colleague as a bowler's end umpire.

But always remember, although you are a team, like openers, each one will try to play a better innings for his career, each umpire must work and perform like a player for his career. Man is himself is a selfish animal, and he will always try to put better performance at least for his own career. So I feel good umpires are those, who work hard and concentrate on the game with all 100%, and must help to his colleague. I have never been biased to my colleague during my umpiring career, even a new colleague is doing his first match, I will try to give him the best rapport all the time. If we help others and take care of others, Almighty is always there to help us. So you are being  a good umpire and promising one to reach ICC level, I advise you to help all the umpires. I am sure all other umpires will form good opinion about you and that will help you in your career. So go ahead with good acts not only on the field of play but also off the field of play. And always perform with full concentration on the game, and don't allow a thought to enter in mind, which may lead to a mistake in the game, that may turn the table for either side. Remember umpire can make the game or ruin the game.

I positively feel that you must work and do the job accordingly and I like to see you in the ICC panel with your honest job. I used to ask questions to Indian test umpires during earlier days, through hand written letters, and used to get replies from them. Umpires like A M Mamsa (He is no more now), Pilloo Reporter, and a few others. Mr. Mamasa was a great interpreter of the Law, and had a very good command over English language. His hand written post cards are still with me like treasure, and also of one of the legend of Indian Cricketers late Shri Vijay Merchant, Ajit Wadekar and Sunil Gavaskar.

Hope you will like my comments. With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 8/7/2013)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

What can i expect more from you after such a wonderful and valuable experienced words of yours'. I feel myself lucky that i am getting valuable knowledge from you. Not only me but other folks also getting wonderful knowledge base from you. Your such a long experience is getting counted now for your students.
 i will always try my best to perform up the mark and will take care that your each and every word will get implemented on the field of play.
 One can learn only with asking more questions and clearing the concepts , one can learn by doing mistakes on the field and then getting corrected with the senior official.
doing more no of matches and having quick summery of those will be helpful to minimize the mistakes going to occur in the next.
I started keeping my record regarding skill sets require to become best professional umpire. I am sending that document(.xls sheet) on your personal yahoo mail id . Kindly go through it. You can also update the sheet with your reviews and comments on the same and send it back to me.you can also add any skill sets in that sheet if i am missing any. Please dont forget to go through it once .your comments and reviews will help me a lot.

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade

Answer
Hi Mayur,

Thanks for your words of appreciation and praise for me. I am sure your learning process by asking more questions and clearing your doubts, will help you to achieve your goal in life. Again thanks for the same. I have received your personal mail. I will go through it and will give my comments as soon as possible.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 24/07/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre