Cricket/in regard with an on-line umpiring program

QUESTION: Very Good Morning to you Sir,

Sir here is a situation.........

The last hour of the game commences at 3:30 PM. As soon as 1 over & 2 balls were bowled, there was a interruption from 3:35 Pm to 3:45 PM.Thereafter Batting side is all out at 3:57 PM, when innings progressed to 4 Overs & 5 balls.How many overs are there to be bowled now......

ANSWER: Dear Vineet Singh

Thanks for your question.

Following is the method of calculating overs to be bowled in the last hour.

LAST HOUR FROM 15.30 TO 16.30

TIME          Interruption time   Over Lost   Over Bowled   TO BE BOWLED

At 15.35          1.2   13.4

From 15.35 to 15.45      10 mts         2      --   11.4

At 15.57
Batting team is all out          3.3      8.1
(To be rounded off)          (2+5)      7    8

Innings Interval          2          6

So when new innings starts, the fielding side will have to bowl minimum of 6 overs.

Hope this is very much clear. In fact when an inning ends in the last hour you have two calculations, and you have to take greater number of overs.

So when the team is all out and the remaining time gets more than 6 overs, you have to take greater number of overs. Suppose 30 minutes remaining, it is to be divided by 4 minutes per over + any fraction, i.e. 30/4 = 7 overs and for 2 remaining minutes one more over will be bowled so in all 8 overs will have to be bowled.

This is just an example for more clarity while calculating overs in the last hour and particularly when a side is all out during the last hour.

Hope it will clear your doubts. Please get back to me for any further clarifications.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 27/07/2013)

Thank you so very much for your humble response. It is clear to me but up to some extent Sir you calculated 8.1 overs & I did the same now I rounded it to a whole no. of overs, means 9 overs.
now I deducted 2 overs for innings break, so according to me it would be 7 overs to bowl in the new innings.

Please bear with me if I am wrong & clear this to me.

Thanking you.

ANSWER: Dear Vineet,

Hello, hope you are fine and happy.

In all A Side is all out after 4.5 overs have been bowled i.e. 4 overs are bowled

+ Overs Lost due to rain ( 10 / 4 mts.per over = 2 overs)

+ Innings interval 2 overs , i.e. (4+2 +2 = 8 overs of play gone)

So ( 15 -8 = 7 overs to be bowled when play restarts, subject to light and weather condition).

Hope it will now be clear to you.

So, its 7 overs to be bowled when play resumes. The fraction of the over at the end of the innings to be disregarded and not to be rounded off.

Ok Thanks for correcting me.

Carry on good work, thanks for getting back to me,
With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 31/07/2013)

QUESTION: Hello once again Sir,
Sir, I have found an on-line cricket umpire's training program which is known as OUT (on-line umpire's training).
Sir I would humbly like to know should I join this program. Sir your reply will we incredible for me.
Here is the link of that program.......
I will eagerly wait for your reply, Sir.

Thank you again for helping me.

Dear Vineet,

First of all let me say thanks for your kind words and all praise. I feel it great to answer your every question.

I am also thankful here for enlightening me on new website, which I have just browsed and knew about it from you. I feel its a good site to join, as far as your passion for cricket umpiring is concerned. This will give you self preparation exposure for upgrading your knowledge about the Laws and for any BCCI level-1 & 2 exams. There is nothing wrong to join any authentic programme which will update you and will help you getting much about the Laws.

But before I permit you to go ahead, I would like to just bring to your kind notice that any qualification you will attain through any website programmes, may not have any precedence over the BCCI exams. So, irrespective of your joining any on line course and exams, will have no consideration as far as BCCI umpiring is concerned. you need to pass BCCI level-1 and Level-2 exams here in India only to get a birth on the BCCI panel umpires.

But truly its worth, if you can afford it I would not discourage you from joining any training course. Hope you will take it positively otherwise. I always want my viewers to go ahead and make a career in this field of umpiring.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda (04/08/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.