Cricket/Getting prepared for LBWs

Respected Sir,

I have some practical questions related to LBW. Your experienced words will really help me in future.

1) Before match, what practice one should follow to get picture of that 9 inch x 22 yards turf strap in mind? This is suddenly going to play very crucial role in judgement of pitching of the ball with respect to leg stump line (outer edge)

2) from where you would pick the trajectory of the ball after it releases from bowlers hand?

3) How you take care of point : "In which section of pitch the ball pitches?"
( short , good length , full etc)

4) How you would decide the height factor?
( with respect to batsman's position , where the impact is i.e how many feet the impact is far from the stump and at what height with respect stumps the, batsman plays front foot/back foot etc )

5) How you would decide on the turn and further projectile of the ball after the interception to full criteria of wickets hitting ?

6) After an appeal for LBW, on what points you recollect the facts to give your verdict?

Mayur Wankhade

Dear Mayur,

Its a great question and one can put many things together on an innumerable papers and still you may not finish at any certain point. A very debatable, very controversial of all the dismissals and every players has to pass through all these. Not a single player in the history of cricket would have liked to be given out LBW. But due to disciplined and good spirit in the earlier days had no such issues, which umpires nowadays have to face. This is because of all technology and nothing else. Everybody must have met once or twice victims of a wrong decision (LBW) from umpires, the difference is earlier players used to walk without showing any public dissent, on the contrary now a days even if a batsman had not edged the ball before impact would raise his bat, indicating that it was bat & pad. But the on field umpire just gets a fraction of a fraction second to judge and declare him out LBW while the media and commentators with the help of available technology try to put pressure on umpires by criticizing his decision. Whatever we talk about, it is also a question, how much Hawk-ye is right or wrong, no one can predict. But I am also against this type of technology which we could have avoided instead. Not to give lecture on this, I would come to your related points on LBW.

LBW is nothing but the ball has been obstructed with your person, except bat and hands holding the bat. This thing a small child can also say. And for that obstruction the ball, in the opinion of the umpire, would have gone to hit the stumps.

According to me LBW is the easiest decision of all the 10 dismissals, out of which I would say Run out and Stumping are the most difficult decisions, (leaving aside technology)

You have to observe lot of things, like Pitching and path of further traveling must be viewed and judged properly and this can be achieved with much more experience, by standing in more and more matches.

Nevertheless LBW is the decision which mostly dissatisfies every player, batman in particular, because so many wrong decisions are given.Fundamental principles of Law-35, remain the same.

Every delivery is to be judged strictly on its merit. Following points may be taken care of and can be mastered with greater experience.

1. The point of the crease from which the ball is delivered.
2. The pace of the ball
3. Trajectory through the air
4. Direction of swing in the air
5 and extent of such movement
6 the point of contact with the pitch
7 or the person of the batsman
8 or the person of the batsman
9 the speed of the ball after pitching
10 the direction of any  movement off the pitch
11 Extent of any such movement
12 Traveling distance
13.How much deviation of the ball would have been, if the ball not contacted the pad or person
14 Would the ball have gone to hit the stumps
15 Give out or Not out, judgment based on your experience.

Moreover you must judge and compare the height of the stumps when each batsman takes stance in front of the wicket.

Judging the path of 9" x 52" strips on the pitch is difficult. It can only be achieved with experience.

Pitching outside the leg sumps, you have to be accurate. It is all a matter of fact on that particular incident, based on that you have to give your decision.

Mostly my observations are so simple,

1. Left arm medium pace bowlers more often trap the right handed batsmen with their natural in swings, vice-verse

2. Right arm medium pace bowlers have more chances of getting batsmen out caught behind or caught in the leg slip.

3 RA leg spinners have more chance of getting LBW with their googlies or caught behind.

Apart from considering all other related aspect of LBW, we have to concentrate main basic points through out, rest is your experience and concentration. An entry of little thought in your mind at that particular time of appeal would take away everything from you. You are not going to know what next would come to you, even on a batting track and when nothing has been happening for the fielding side.

(Batsman making a genuine attempt to play the ball)
1. Did the ball pitch : (i) in line between wickets (ii) or on the off side?
2. Was the first point of interception on the striker's (i) person or (ii) equipment -not the bat etc.)
3 In the umpire's opinion would the ball have gone to hit the wicket?
(Batsman NOT making a genuine attempt to hit the ball)
1. Did the ball pitch (i) in line between wicket and wicket (ii)or on the off side
2. Was the first point of interception on the striker's (i) person (ii) equipment (not the bat etc.)
3. Was the point of impact is in line between wicket and wicket or on the off side?
4. In the umpire's opinion, would the ball have gone to hit the wicket?

So its a vast subject and I have tried to explain you in a shortest way. I am extremely sorry for the delay in answering your few pending questions due to unavoidable reasons.

With best wishes,

SUhas Sapre (Baroda  23/08/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.