Cricket/Runs scored and output from the scenarios

Respected Sir ,

In the following scenarios, how many runs will be scored and what will be the output from such a delivery

1) A wide ball goes over the boundary line
2) A NO ball deflected by striker's pad hits the fielding side helmet placed on the ground
3) A NO ball delivered by bowler strikes the the helmet wear by very closing very fielder near the pitch and breaks the strikers end wicket . At this time striker was standing out of his ground to receive delivery.
4) Same case as of above but ball strikes closing fielders shoulder rather than his helmet.
5) Striker after playing the delivery sets off for the run and immediately closing fielder deliberately brings him down

Mayur Wankhade

1) Wide=1 + Boundary=4 makes total=5
2a) If Leg Byes would have been allowed, then NoBall=1 + Helmet=5 makes total=6
2b) If Leg Byes would not have been allowed, then NoBall=1 and Dead Ball
3 & 4) Ball becomes Dead when hits fielder, so just No Ball=1
5) Law 42.5 is clear.  Umpire calls Dead ball, awards 5 Penalty runs, plus one for the run just started.  Batsmen can elect who faces next delivery.

Please visit for further discussion

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998