Cricket/ball splitting into two parts

QUESTION: Sir, Recently I appeared in the State level Umpiring Exam conducted by U.P.C.A., there was a question which confused me a lot, here is the question Sir..........

The Bowler's end umpire called & signalled a ball wide, Batsman on strike came out of ground & tried to hit but missed it completely. The rest job was done by the wicket keeper he gathered the ball & put the wicket down when the striker was completely out of his ground  but the striker's end umpire declared the batsman not out. Why ?
      was this a typing error in the exam paper or there is anything in the rules of stumping which I missed.

ANSWER: Dear Vineet Singh,

Hi good morning, thanks for getting back to me for this googly ball, bowled at a new fresh batsman playing his fist inning of the life.

Why the striker was not given out?, Whether the striker was out stumped or not? Such question must get connected with two laws, Wide ball and Stumping and Result.

The striker was not given out stumped of a wide ball, as the batting side just required only 1 run to win and as soon as the bowler bowled a wide ball even though the batsman came out and missed and got out stumped, the side batting wins the match as soon as the bowler's umpire called a "Wide ball".

Here the umpire would call and signal wide ball, once the ball crosses the wicket of the striker, but the as per the Law the ball is considered wide at the instant of the delivery and as such the striker will not be given out stumped. Anything which happens after the result is reached, should be ignored.

This was a tricky incident for new comers and unless you read and understand 42 Laws with common sense you are going to be beaten with such googly balls.

Hope this is very much clear to you now. Get back to me for any doubts.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 8/7/2013)

QUESTION: Sir Here is one situation...

A fair delivery (not a No-ball) was hit by the striker in the deep outfield. The moment ball lands in outfields on its first bounce, it splits into two pieces. One piece crosses the boundary and other piece stays in the field. A close-by fielder picks up the piece that was still in field and throws back to bowler, who whips off bails with a non-striker still out of his ground on the second run. At the moment the ball was split, both batsmen had crossed onto their first run. How would you answer the appeal from fielding side? If dead ball to be called, will this ball be counted as one of the over ?

Dear Vineet,

Very good morning.

Thanks for your question a tricky one and many would like to know/

The ball split into two parts, before reaching to any fielder, either umpire can call and signal 'Dead ball'. The ball will not be counted in the over, since it is considered as 'dead ball', before the stri8ker received the delivery. For a fair play ball must be in the original shape, when it breaks into pieces it loses its existence and hence any result out of that event will not be considered and that ball will not be counted in the over and will have to be rebowled.

A ball generally suffers gradual deterioration and the point at which it needs to be replaced is likely to be judged differently by different people.

However, there have been occasions when a ball has split into two pieces while in play, generally as the result of being hit very hard by the bat.

Though the parameters defining the dimensions of the ball refer to the ball when new, it is clear that the fractured ball is no longer the sort of object that the Laws require.
Law 3.6 requires the umpires to ensure that the equipment used is in accordance with the Laws
and the ball now clearly is not, so play must be stopped.

After all cases this means the whole ball not just part of it. It is, therefore, clear that no runs can be scored by using part of a ball, no catch can be completed, no run out or stumping can be effected.

Whichever umpire first realizes what has happened must call and signal Dead ball as soon as
possible. The ball will be deemed to have become dead at the instant of its destruction.
If the ball was whole when the striker received it, that delivery will count as one of the over no runs will count out of that deilvery.

Hope this will satisfy you. Thanking you again for your question.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 19/07/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.