Cricket/Umpiring

Question
I am working in BOI and like to take up umpiring. Currently I am in Chennai and having hard time in finding out when Umpires exam will be conducted this year. Kindly guide me.

Answer
Hi Rajesh,

Very good morning. Welcome to this site of yahoo experts and thanks for giving me an opportunity to meet you through this website. Its great feeling serving for the cause of game of cricket which has many good aspects to become a nice gentleman.

Regarding your query, you are with Bank and you like to take up umpiring career. I am also working with no.1 bank and know the difficulties around. Regarding exam, I would like you to contact your nearby local cricket association. Like the game of cricket changes every now and then, the procedure of recruitment of umpires is too keeps on changing. Recent Hot Spot controversy may bring another big changes in the recruitment of umpires, and it is also likely that the concept of recent neutral umpires  may be abolished and we would see once again the local panel umpires will be reappeared on the field of play with third umpire being neutral.

You have not mentioned your age and how have you chosen this field? I presume you have played cricket at any level, which must have created some interest in you to become an umpire. Its a tough and challenging job, and needs lot of hard work, and need sound physical fitness.

But at the moment to your query I would only guide to please contact your nearby cricket association and contact your local senior umpires. You need to appear in the state panel exam and need 2 years of umpiring experience in local tournaments of the association. You need to simply put a request on paper and apply to the appropriate association and get yourself registered. Once you are registered you will be given assignments in the local matches. And before that you need to do friendly matches and school matches, where you will feel the experience of umpiring and will learn lot of things.

At the moment, I hope this is good enough to get yourself prepared with these information. With best wishes and your questions on cricket umpiring will always be welcome.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 24/07/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre