Cricket/catch to take precedence over run out..

Hello Sir,
         recently I was surfing a cricket umpiring related website, there I found a situation question.
Here is that question.....

Striker plays a ball straight back to bowler, the bawler tries to catch it but the ball hits the non striker end stumps after brushing the bowler's fingers. This time the non striker batsman was clearly out of his ground, The ball after hitting the stumps deflects and goes into the hands of bowler ( ball had not touched the ground). who will be out ?  
catch to take precedence over any other means of dismissal except bowled. So the striker is out caught. True.  
but when the first incident occurred the non striker was clearly run out. & law states as soon as any batsman gets out the ball becomes dead automatically, so how could the striker be out caught.
Please clear my doubt....

Dear Vineet,

Thanks for your nice question.

It is the striker, who is out 'caught'.

There are few instances which would clear your doubts.

If a fair delivery hits the pads of the striker, who is in front of the wicket, but still the ball goes to hit the stumps, how is his dismissal will be recorded? He is out 'Bowled', because bowled has precedence over any other dismissal.

If a batsman plays and edges the ball, the wicket keeper whips off the bails, both bowler and WK appeals for dismissal? How he is out? Both umpires raise the finger. The striker is out 'caught' and not stumped. If striker's end umpire fails to give him out, the other umpire still give him out stumping.

In your case, if a fair delivery is hit back to the bowler, who fails to gather and the ball hits the opposite wicket, then the ball is deflected and goes to mid off fielder who takes the catch, the striker is out 'caught'.

If the same delivery is brushed off the bowler's hand or his person and hits the wicket, and a catch is taken, at the same time, the non striker was out of the crease when the ball hit the wicket, still the catch is valid first and not Run out. Ball becomes dead only when the batsman is given out. Here the fair is considered from the moment it is played by the striker, and further actions for that to be disregarded. But if in the event of a No ball, in the same case, the striker is not out but the non striker will be given out 'Run out'.

If you go by the Laws, except for Law-31 (Timed out), all the dismissals have been put in order alphabetically and has precedence over each other. And as such, 'Bowled' has precedence over all the dismissals, followed with 'caught' and so on.

Hope this will clear your doubts. Thanks again for your questions.  And also thanks for your comments.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 9/8/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.