Cricket/Information on becoming an umpire

Dear Mr. Sapre

I write from Bangalore. I follow the game very keenly and have also played at inter-company level, but I really enjoy umpiring - I have done it in several matches since childhood but at a very local level.

I wish to take up umpiring a bit more seriously, but not necessarily as a full time occupation. I called up the NCA but they said that all information can only be had from NUA in Nagpur. I have a few questions therefore:

1. Is it possible to take up umpiring along with something else you are doing?

2. Can one appear for the entrance test in any city or are these tests conducted only in Nagpur? And where can I get information on test schedules?

3. What is the best source to get the latest updated laws of cricket?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dear Mr. Ganesh

Thanks for your questions.

All umpires around the world except where professional umpires are appointed, have some or other job or business to earn the brad and butter. It is not that umpiring will give you everything. You must settle down first with your personal career and then concentrate on other achievements like umpiring. One must have passion for that and one must have enough time to spare for such activities. I believe the persons who have jobs and have week end holidays can easily take up umpiring. But in the country like India, we have no such concept except for some multinational companies which cater job in India. If I am given the task I may close everything on week end days in India. The concept must be accepted by each and every individual. This is altogether different story and not in our hands.

Nagpur is a center where BCCI have developed Academy for cricket umpires and scorers. Only those who are associated with the state associations, affiliated to the BCCI, can depute their umpires for exam, when called for. One can not on his own go and take up the exam. You need to be a registered member / umpire of the local state association, which can promote you and help you to climb the ladder of success. So be with your local association for further information regarding umpiring exam and seminars.

Purchase TOM SMITH's book on Cricket Umpiring and Scoring, which is itself a Bible of cricket Laws. More over you can download Open Manual from the MCC website. This will help you a lot and for the rest of your doubts I am here to guide you and help you to pass the exam. But read and understand all 42 Laws by using your own Law No. 43 Common Sense.

At the moment I hope this will be enough for your guidance and information. Get back to me for any further query.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 29/09/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.