Cricket/Law 2 : Runner and Law 38 : Run Out

Respected Sir,

Hope you are doing good. coming back to you after long time :)
First for all watch the weird dismissal video on following link

Have you seen at last of video the way dismissal recorded in the score book, ( may not be in score book but dismissal shown on card by broadcaster ). They recorded as out stumped. Don't you think that it was wrongly put there.

My first impression while looking at the video that its Run OUT and not Stumped OUT.

Though now a days in domestic and international cricket there is no stand for runners for injured striker. But as law book still consist the laws related to runner i would like to discuss this video dismissal with you.

As seen in the video, the injured striker was in his ground when WK puts down the wicket fairly with ball, no other fielder was involved in putting the wicket down neither striker was attempting a run and nor it was a NO ball. This was perfectly suitable case for stumped out which is special case of run out

Here Striker was in his ground but "his runner was out of the ground".
My understanding is when runner out of his ground will always be considered as attempting a RUN.
So for this case stumping will always be converted into possible RUN OUT irrespective if injured striker's position.

So its a RUN OUT and not Stumped out. Kindly give your views on it. waiting for your valuable words.

Mayur Wankhade.

Dear Mayur,

I just saw the video footage and it was a clear cut dismissal of a Run out and not stumped. Whenever the injured striker, having runner, has to remain in the crease, and if his runner is found outside the crease and wicket is fairly put down by the Wicket keeper the injured striker is liable to be out Run out.

It seems to me its an error on part of the scorers, who should have gone to the umpires to clarify their decision, whether the batsman was out Run out or stumped. This could be the only possibility.

By the way thanks and your interpretations are correct. And I do agree that the mistake has occurred.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 17/08/2013)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.