Cricket/Law 13: Follow on

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir,

while doing calculation for min amount of lead required to enforce follow on , what is significant?
1) Mere call of Play ? OR
2) Actual play take place which is the moment as soon bowler starts run up for first delivery of the match after the call of play ?

I would like to clear it from you regarding when to consider the particular days play lost.

Thanks,
Mayur Wankhade

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

This question has many points to be discussed and I had also raised many related doubts over it. First of all I would raise a question here, when a play has actually been considered to have taken place?

Its on the call of "Play" by bowler's end umpire or when a single entry is recorded on the score sheet, or if a bowler succeeds in getting the non striker RO with the very first of the match. These all are related to your question.

But according to the Law, it is said on the call of play by the umpire, even if play does not take place.

So, its a debatable point and nobody has cleared the doubts over this. What happens if it rains just when umpire calls play and before the first ball is delivered? It starts stormy rain and starts lightening.

Hope this will give you many more thoughts what to consider but always go by the Laws, which states on the call of Play.

Ok, its nice coming with good questions and good thoughts. I appreciate your learning process and eagerness to know more about the game.

With best wishes, Wish you Happy Ganesh celebration.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 08/09/2013)

QUESTION: Respected sir,

I think mere call of play doesn't mean play is take place.
Play is considered to be took place when either bowler start up his run up or if he has no run up, his bowling action for 1st delivery of the match. Ofcourse this can only happen after the call of play.

So best practice will be bowlers end umpire must see that everything is in  place n that the bowler is ready, then only call play.

But with exam point of view when question is asked that "on the 1st day of match bowlers end umpire calls play n suddenly it rains".

So here can we say that play take place on 1st day. I think we will not and will consider it will be full length of match as agreed earlier.

So my understanding is merely call of play doesn't mean play take place. And for calculation of follow on you have to consider whether play take place or not. I.e. whether bowler has started his run up for 1st delivery of match or not.

Kindly let me know if I am going wrong. I mention is not to make mistake on field n evn in exams.

Thanks
Mayur wankhade

Answer
Hi Mayur,

If Umpire calls "play" and at the same time it rains and bowler has neither started his run up nor his bowling action, the first day will be treated as washed out, if at all afterwards play does not take place.

But, on the call of "Play" even if a bowler has started his run up or bowling action, and still not delivered the ball, the play is considered to have taken place for the purpose of follow on rule.

I ascertain your answer and you need not worry for that. Keep it up good work.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 20/09/2013)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre