Cricket/Wide Ball Rule

Question
Hello, I have a doubt about calling a ball a "wide ball". Assume the case where the batsman jumps forward from the crease to play the shot and misses, and then the ball passes the wicket out of the wide marker. Is there any rule saying that this cannot be called a wide ball because the batsman jumped forward(was not on the popping crease when he played the shot) from the crease to play the shot. Please clarify. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Under standard MCC Law 25.1, it is NOT a Wide Ball if the Striker moves so that he brings the ball within his reach (for a normal cricket stroke etc etc).  It does not matter whether he moves forwards or sideways.

However several competitions, such as ICC, have special regulations for their competitions which specify a particular distance, or position, that is an absolute standard even if he moves.  For example they may say that any ball passing behind striker down legside is a Wide (unless he hits it).  Indeed ICC also deem a ball over head height to be a wide even if he does hit it!  

Cricket

Colin Pearson