Cricket/Wide Ball Rule

Hello, I have a doubt about calling a ball a "wide ball". Assume the case where the batsman jumps forward from the crease to play the shot and misses, and then the ball passes the wicket out of the wide marker. Is there any rule saying that this cannot be called a wide ball because the batsman jumped forward(was not on the popping crease when he played the shot) from the crease to play the shot. Please clarify. Thank you in advance.

Under standard MCC Law 25.1, it is NOT a Wide Ball if the Striker moves so that he brings the ball within his reach (for a normal cricket stroke etc etc).  It does not matter whether he moves forwards or sideways.

However several competitions, such as ICC, have special regulations for their competitions which specify a particular distance, or position, that is an absolute standard even if he moves.  For example they may say that any ball passing behind striker down legside is a Wide (unless he hits it).  Indeed ICC also deem a ball over head height to be a wide even if he does hit it!  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998