Cricket/bails off

A player makes his ground after a run, a fielder's throw knocks the bails off and the ball over-runs, can the batsman try another run? If so how can the umpire tell if a subsequent stumping is made as the stumps and bails are not in position?

The fact that the wicket is broken does NOT make the ball Dead, so further runs are permitted.

Law 28 spells out in detail the various alternatives.  There are two ways:

Firstly the fielder can remake the wicket, partially or wholly and then remove one bail.

Secondly the fielder can pull a stump out of the ground whilst holding the ball against it.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998