Cricket/bails off

Question
A player makes his ground after a run, a fielder's throw knocks the bails off and the ball over-runs, can the batsman try another run? If so how can the umpire tell if a subsequent stumping is made as the stumps and bails are not in position?

Answer
The fact that the wicket is broken does NOT make the ball Dead, so further runs are permitted.

Law 28 spells out in detail the various alternatives.  There are two ways:

Firstly the fielder can remake the wicket, partially or wholly and then remove one bail.

Secondly the fielder can pull a stump out of the ground whilst holding the ball against it.  

Cricket

Colin Pearson