Cricket/law 32.3 Fair catch

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Will it be a fair catch and striker will be out caught?

If ball struck by striker with his bat without having previously been in contact with any fielder and is subsequently held by a fielder but only after
1) deflected off his own runner
2) deflected off injured striker who was out of game and standing near the square leg umpire

Law explicitly says that : "it is a fair catch if, a fielder catches the ball after it has touched an umpire, another fielder or the other batsman " Here they have not mentioned anything regarding runner or injured striker.

Waiting for your valuable comments

Mayur Wankhade

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for another good question and I appreciate your keenness of learning umpiring minutely.

Referring to your above question, you just go to the Dead ball Law, when ball becomes dead and when umpire has to call dead ball. So ball never becomes dead on striking either umpire or any fielder, even it is not dead if it is caught from any deflection of either side player, whether the striker's substitute runner or the non striker. So its a fair catch, as long as ball has not touched the ground at any time. Runner or Injured striker are a part of the match and they are considered in the match, they are not considered as boundary or obstructions.

Hope you will like this and agree with me.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 05/01/2014)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks for your words.

Can we prove it by provision of law 32.3(f) [ 5th edition of laws ]
"the ball is caught off an obstruction within the boundary that has not been designated a boundary by the umpires before the toss."

Here we can say that, "Injured striker's runner" or "Injured striker itself when out of play(standing near square leg umpire)" are both considered as obstruction within the field of play and also not designated as boundary ???

Else like law 32 couldn't mentioned anything for ball deflected of "Runner" or "Injured striker". They explicitly mentioned it for Umpire,fielders and batsmen.

Mayur Wankhade

ANSWER: Dear Mayur,

Thanks for clarifications on certain points. This is nothing but just an application of Law No.43 i.e. by using common sense,

Catch is possible from:

Striker's fielder's person (except helmet)
Lodges in fielder's clothing
Lodges in keeper's pads
Strikes either batsman's person
Strikes either batsman's helmet
Strikes stumps at the bowler's end
Strikes stumps at the striker's end sometime
strikes either umpire

Catch is not possible for the following:

Strikes fielder's helmet being worn
Lodges in fielder's helmet being worn
Strikes fielder's helmet on ground
Lodges in either batsman's pads
Trapped among items of either batsman;s clothing or equipment
Lodges in either batsman's helmet
Strikes stumps at keeper's end in normal circumstances
Lodges in either umpire's clothing

So in your case, you say hitting Runner or Inured striker's person catch is invalid.

Even though the Injured striker when he is not the striker, brings himself into the play he is likely to be dismissed under certain circumstances.

So when the ball happens to hit either the Injured batsman or his runner, even though when out of the game, the catch is valid and ball does not become dead.  If in normal circumstances, the ball is deflected by either of this batsman, would you allow runs or not?  They are not permanent on the ground, they are just chapped to be on the ground under certain rules of the games. Umpires have to decide before toss, boundary related to permanent obstruction on the ground, least others things are to be considered as normal.

Hope this is very much clear. When Law is silent on certain things, you have to apply your common sense so that you will not make any mistakes. After all thanks for clearing your doubts and will help other to follow and understand this.

With regards and best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 15012014)

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

Thanks for your words again and listing of scenarios of valid and invalid catches.
Agreed with your explanation!

"I was aware that in the case of ball deflected from injured striker(when out of play) or runner is valid catch. But i wanted to get valid technical background from the laws to prove this."

As you mentioned law is silent on this, there are again certain cases where laws are silent and you have to use law 43. I am agreed with you.

And i also believe such things can be learnt only with on field experiences doing more no of local matches and making notes on your match effort.

Thanks for your guidance in all the possible ways!

Mayur Wankhade.

Hi Mayur,

Thanks for your comments and a word of appreciation. Its very nice of you that you have helped me in a great way to refresh my course.

Keep it up, lot more we can exchange from each other. I am still learning at this age and very keen to learn in the process of answering your questions.

God bless you in acquiring best of knowledge and that helps you in becoming a leading umpire in future.

All the best,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 25012014

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.