Cricket/law 34 and law 37

Respected Sir,

Its a NO Ball. Striker strikes it with bat and wicket keeper is about to catch it but striker deflects it. And in the opinion of umpire he does so legitimately for "the sole purpose of" guarding his wicket.

Appeal has been made by the wicket keeper, what will be the decision ?

Mayur Wankhade

That is an interesting question.

Since it is a No Ball, he cannot be Bowled out.  So there is no need to guard his wicket.  However I would not blame the striker for so doing - indeed it is possible he has not heard the call and would not have had time to consider the implications.

Since it is a No Ball, the Keeper cannot make a legitimate Catch.  So there is no question that the Striker prevented a catch.

Clearly Not Out for Obstruction.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998