Cricket/Over sized bats

Law 6 states that a bat can be up to 38" long.  The recognised bat sizes do not go near this size however I have seen people playing with bats with a larger blade area than a full size LH bat.  Are these over sized bats allowed to be used in a match with other players using normal bats?

At present MCC Law 6 and Appendix E allows any bat which does not exceed 38 in/96.5 cm long and 4.25 in/10.8 cm wide - subject to a variety fo ther conditions.

Interestingly they specify a maximum length of handle but not a maximum length of blade!  Perhaps they, or ICC, may introduce something in future.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998