Cricket/No Ball or Dead Ball

Scenario is  :
The bowler delivers, the umpire calls No Ball for the 3rd time for chucking. However, before the ball reaches the striker, the striker withdraws due to a movement behind the bowlers arm. What actions needs to be taken ?

I guess , as the bowler throws the ball , first thing the umpire would call and signal No Ball. But after the ball delivered , the batsman withdraws & he has not attempted to play it , that mean it should be called as Dead ball..?

So here what should take the precedence No Ball or Dead Ball & whether its need to suspend the bowled for 3rd time chucking ?

Thanks for your help.

A very interesting question which is not directly addressed by MCC Law.

However I have sought another opinion and we both agree that the seriousness of the bowler's offence, which occurred before the striker pulled away, should stand and he be punished accordingly.

Indeed it is possible that the action, coupled with the umpire's call, may have added to the striker's distraction.

If this actually happened in a match, you can obtain an official MCC ruling from  <>

Please let me know what reply you get.

PS: I have also put the question on

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998