Cricket/Catch or Six

We had a college match where a fielder took a catch well with in 5 meters of boundary line but in excitement he throw the ball up and it crossed the boundary line now how shall umpires treat whether it is fair catch or six or any other solutions to make the both teams to abide by the rules.

Ghouse Mohiddin

The critical words are in 19.4 catch ends when "... complete control both over the ball and over his own movement."

In the scenario described, the fielder appears to have had complete control over the ball by throwing it up in celebration and the striker should be out caught.

Law 32(3). A fair catch

Providing that in every case
   neither  (i)    at any time the ball
   nor  (ii)    throughout the act of making the catch as defined in Law 19.4, any fielder in contact with the ball is, as described in Law 19.3(b), touching the boundary or grounded beyond the boundary,
then a catch shall be considered to be fair if ...

Law 19.4. Ball beyond the boundary

... The act of making the catch, or of fielding the ball, shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with some part of a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998