Cricket/cricket Rule for resumption of batting

Respected Sir,

I have following queries. Two openers were batting at the crease. One of them got in to trouble due to heavy heat. He got dehydrated and ended up in cramp. It was unbearable for him to continue the batting. He reported the same to the umpire and told his intention to leave the ground and expressed his desire to come back for batting again after fall of few wickets or after taking some rest.  My question is whether, the umpire within his limits can allow  the batsman to resume  the innings after some time or not.
As far as my knowledge is concerned the above case is a type of internal injury and the umpires will not allow the batsman to resume his innings later on  in the same innings and the batsman will be declared as Retired Hurt out.

Sir I want to know what are the laws applicable if the umpire allows the batsman to restart the innings as in the case of External injury. I mean the position of batting, timing etc for resuming of innings after leaving the ground.  Please also explain whether the laws remain the same for top order/middle order/tail end batsman as far as timing is concerned. (Eg.The ball was hit no. 7 batsman face and was forced to leave the ground and can he be allowed to bat at  no.10)

Thanking you

Dear Manesh,

For a batsman to resume his innings, you have to remember following things.

1. If a player is injured during play at anytime anywhere, his captain has a right to request to either umpire to claim a substitute by right.

2. If batsman gets inured during his batting, he can resume his innings at the fall of a wicket, this includes retirement of another batsman.

3. If the batsman who gets injured and later on cannot resume his innings, his innings will be recorded as Retd.Not out. And if he wants to resume his innings he can resume at any time after the fall of any wicket  or retirement of any batsman.

4. But when a player remains absent for other unacceptable reasons, he cannot bowl or he cannot open the inning of his side. Here the penalty is upto the fall of 5 wickets or he can bat after the lapse of the time of his absent, whichever is earlier.

Hope you will like this. And if you still have any doubt. Thanks again for your questions.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 23/10/2014)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.