on grounds with boundaries designated by , say, cones or flags (I.e no fence) can a fieldsman commence his movement towards the batsman as the bowler moves in from outside the "ground" if not, what rule covers your decision

Law 41.8 ...
(b) In the outfield, fielders are permitted to move towards the striker or the strikerís wicket ... Anything other than slight movement off line or away from the striker is to be considered significant.

Law 2 does talk about players leaving the field and requiring permission to return.  The interpretation is that this does not apply to players who are actively fielding close to the boundary (how else could a ball be retrieved when it was a boundary?).

Provided the striker was aware of the approximate position of the fielder when the ball is delivered, then I would not intervene.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998