batsman took guard at the crease line as you do but then took his batting position up approx. 1.5 metres from the crease. is that ok or should it be considered he is damaging the pitch 1.5 m from the crease ? is their a limit as to how far you can bat out of your ground ?

There is no limit on the distance that the striker may stand - just more risk that he will be stumped!

The limit of 5 feet specifically refers to the bowler.  The umpire has a duty to prevent avoidable damage anywhere on the pitch (all 22 yards by 10 feet).  

Theoretically if the striker makes a mark 5cm in front of popping crease, he could be cautioned under Law 42.11, 42.14 BUT I think that would be officious.

At 1.5 metres (just under 5 feet), I would certainly intervene.

Exactly where I would draw the line would depend on how much damage he was inflicting.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998