Hi Suhas,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your support, guidence & inputs you been giving to many aspirants who wants to take up cricket umpiring  as a career. This is valuable and really appreciate that kind of work you been doing. Thanks a ton.

Like many , I’m one of the aspirant & want to become a cricket umpire. I know its not easy but I want to give a serious try  & I really mean it.

I have recently started working very hard on this and as a first step going through 42 cricket laws.

I have few queries related to LBW and need your inputs on the same.

1. Off Spin bowler, deliveres a fair delivery, striker genguinely tried to play it – The ball pitches outside off stump ,  turns & hits ( the first strike ) the batsmans pad ( this is in line between wicket & wicket but not the pitch of the ball ) , impact is ball would have hit the stumps ?  So how should we go about this ?

2.Leg spinner / Left arm bowler - deliveres a fair delivery, striker genguinely tried to play it – The ball pitches outside leg stump ,  turns & hits ( the first strike ) the batsmans pad ( this is in line between wicket & wicket but not the pitch of the ball ) , impact is ball would have hit the stumps

So how should we go about in both above scenarios ?

3.As per the law anything pitched outside the leg stump is NOT OUT. But in case of left arm spinner or Leg spinner more or less ball would be pitched outside the leg stump and the basic logic of LBW  is that batsman shouldn’t use his person to protect his wicket. So why this would be considerd as NOT OUT

Appreciate your support. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Dear Ganesh,

Due to my other commitments and job, It took me some good time to answer your questions. Thanks for the comments and compliments. I love this job and will do to part my knowledge of umpiring so that my knowledge increases and it also gets updated.

To your queries in order

1.  The impact is important as far as LBW is concerned. The impact is between wicket and wicket and the ball would have gone to hit the stumps, you can give him our LBW. Pitching here is immaterial. Pitching always comes into consideration when a batsman deliberately pads up, and in this case, even if the ball pitches outside the off stump and even though the impact is too outside the off stump, he can be given out provided the ball would have gone to hit the wicket.

2  Whenever ball pitches outside the leg stump, umpire has to close his eyes. A ball pitches outside the leg stump can never claim a wicket of LBW, even if the ball was going to hit the stumps.

3. This is not out for many reasons. First of all to avoid the advantage for left arm spinners  or Leg break bowlers, as there are rough patches created on both sides of the bowling end by the bowlers. Also  to avoid negative bowling by the bowlers.

Hope this is good enough. Get back to me for any clarification.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 23/10/2014)  

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.