Cricket/Power Play Fielding Rules if a team playing with 9 Players

Mr. Colin Pierson,

As per law 1.1.2, a team can play the match with 9 players.

If a team is playing with 9 players what are the rules applicable for Power Play 1 & 2.

Normally in Power play 1, only 2 fielders are allowed outside the 30 yards Circle.  This rule is basically by considering the 11 players a side.

If a team is playing with 9 players, still 2 fielder be allowed in the first power play or no fielders were allowed.  Please clarify.

Thanks & B. Regards,

this is a matter for the people who set the special regulations for that particular competition.

i would always urge them to use words that do cater for less than 11 players.

hopefully the rule would say "not more than 2 players outside circle" rather than "at least 9 players inside circle"

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998