Cricket/6/3 field

Question
I need some clarity about the use of 6/3 fields. 6 leg 3 off ( i.e 4 or 5 in front of square , 1 or 2 behind on the leg side)
Is it pretty universal now that this is not on ? that 5 on the leg is maximum ..

Answer
The only current restriction is Law 41.5

At the instant of the bowler’s delivery there shall not be more than two fielders, other than the wicket-keeper, behind the popping crease on the on side. A fielder will be considered to be behind the popping crease unless the whole of his person whether grounded or in the air is in front of this line.

Many years ago there was an experimental regulation limiting a maximum of 5 fielders on leg side but this was quickly dropped.

There is no reason why a captain could now have 6 fielders on leg side - depends on what the bowler does!

It is possible that ICC may have some special regulations applying to certain international matches.

Cricket

Colin Pearson