Cricket/6/3 field

I need some clarity about the use of 6/3 fields. 6 leg 3 off ( i.e 4 or 5 in front of square , 1 or 2 behind on the leg side)
Is it pretty universal now that this is not on ? that 5 on the leg is maximum ..

The only current restriction is Law 41.5

At the instant of the bowler’s delivery there shall not be more than two fielders, other than the wicket-keeper, behind the popping crease on the on side. A fielder will be considered to be behind the popping crease unless the whole of his person whether grounded or in the air is in front of this line.

Many years ago there was an experimental regulation limiting a maximum of 5 fielders on leg side but this was quickly dropped.

There is no reason why a captain could now have 6 fielders on leg side - depends on what the bowler does!

It is possible that ICC may have some special regulations applying to certain international matches.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998