Cricket/NO-BALL DUE TO DISTURBANCE BYBOWLER

Question
Dear Sir,
I was umpiring when the bowler was very charged up and said "Catch him," loudly, when his ball just passed the batsman. I didn't call anything.  But the next ball he bowled was a slower ball and before the ball pitched near the batsman, he shouted, "Catch him," to which I declared a No Ball.  The bowler and his team first argued that it can't be called a no-ball and then said I had to warn him first or declare it a dead ball.  To this I told that this is the second time in past few months that I have called a similar no-ball to the same team (the previous time they refused to play further) and also that the bowler is over 30 years old with lots of experience and the team average age is 25 years and in this 8-overs a side match, I said it is my discretion whether to warn or not.  Was I right in calling a no-ball? And if so should I have warned?  Can it be called dead-ball?  Under what umpiring rule does this aspect fall?

Answer
You can impose a much more severe penalty for such an offence.

Law 42.5. Deliberate distraction or obstruction of batsman applies.

.....

(b) If either umpire considers that a fielder has caused or attempted to cause such a distraction or obstruction, he shall immediately call and signal DEAD BALL and inform the other umpire of the reason for the call.

(c) Neither batsman shall be dismissed from that delivery.

Additionally,

(d) The bowler’s end umpire shall
   (i) award 5 penalty runs to the batting side.
   (ii) <inform both captains>.

(e) The ball shall not count as one of the over.

(f) <runs completed count, ALSO the run just started!>

(g) The BATSMEN at the wicket shall DECIDE which of them is to face the next delivery.

(h) <make formal report>

Cricket

Colin Pearson