Cricket/over head bouncer

If the first bouncer bowled by a fast bowler is above head height of the batsmen, it is called a wide.But my question is that if that same delivery  is hit by the batsmen and is caught out.Will that be a No Ball or a legal delivery?(First bouncer)

Sorry about slow response - I was travelling when it arrived.

One problem is that an ball that is too high is treated differently by ICC regulations than in MCC Law.

MCC Law 42.6 (ii) says "Any delivery which, after pitching, passes or would have passed over head height ... . The umpire shall call and signal No ball for each such delivery.

Unfortunately ICC have chosen to regard that as a Wide Ball.  I am not sure what else they say BUT MCC Law 25.3. (b) says The umpire shall revoke the call of Wide ball if there is then any contact between the ball and the strikerís bat or person.

If you are playing under pure MCC Law, then the answer is "No Ball"

If under ICC, then, subject to any other regulations to which I am not privy, it would be Caught!

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998