Cricket/hit wicket ? shezard

Question
pak v nz currently being played . shezard was out hit wicket for 176 after being hit in the head . His bat wasn't in his hand at the time the rule mentioning about bat in the hand under hit wicket rule but also mentions rule 8.2 (a) ?? the word " notwithstanding" is used and I am have a little difficulty understanding this word with respect to the rules . I suppose he was out but I am not sure under which rule.. can you clarify please

Answer
Law 35 says ... The striker is out Hit wicket if, ... his wicket is put down either by the strikerís bat or by his person ...

There is nothing to indicate that the bat must be in his hand at the time.  Indeed, many years ago, a famous batsman was out when his cap fell off and hit the wicket.  Sorry I cannot remember who.

Cricket

Colin Pearson