Cricket/hit wicket ? shezard

pak v nz currently being played . shezard was out hit wicket for 176 after being hit in the head . His bat wasn't in his hand at the time the rule mentioning about bat in the hand under hit wicket rule but also mentions rule 8.2 (a) ?? the word " notwithstanding" is used and I am have a little difficulty understanding this word with respect to the rules . I suppose he was out but I am not sure under which rule.. can you clarify please

Law 35 says ... The striker is out Hit wicket if, ... his wicket is put down either by the strikerís bat or by his person ...

There is nothing to indicate that the bat must be in his hand at the time.  Indeed, many years ago, a famous batsman was out when his cap fell off and hit the wicket.  Sorry I cannot remember who.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998