Cricket/Winning Run & Penalty

Question
Hi Colin,

This is your answer to one of the question related to "end on match final score"

-----------------
Law 21.6 explains that once the winning run is scored, nothing else counts.

If the team is on 99 chasing 100 then:
- if both batsmen complete one run before the ball crosses the boundary, then total is 100
- if ball reaches boundary first, then total 103

In second scenario, the match ends when 200 are scored and the striker will be left on 99 unless he hits boundary.  

----------------------

As I was not able to add to the answer , I have posted a separate question here which is in continuation of the above.

In both above scenarios how the runs will be recorded if there is a penalty to be awarded to the Batting Side ?

1. Winning Run Completed + 5 Penalty Runs to the Batting Side
2. Boundary scored ( including the Winning Run ) + 5 Penalty Runs to the Batting Side.

Thanks.

Answer
It does depend on when and why the Penalty runs are imposed.

In general, if the Penalty is incurred before they have scored the required normal run(s), then the ball becomes Dead and any subsequent running or boundary is ignored (and so is Penalty Runs BUT reports should still be made, if appropriate).  Penalty Runs will be scored together with any runs completed PLUS run in progress at the time of the infringement, according to the relevant Laws.

Examples of different applications of Penalties:
 42.2 Illegal Fielding & 42.3 Ball hits helmet - run in progress counts only if crossed
 42.4 Distracting Striker - only Penalty scored
 42.5 Deliberate obstruction of (running) batsmen - run started counts even if not crossed!

Cricket

Colin Pearson