QUESTION: Hello sir, I m located in munban. I have my own business and savings.I m very passionate about cricket and want to contribute to the game. I have been playing cricket at club level for mca round matches. My age is 28.I have full knowledge about the game and I'm very sincere regarding umpiring.
 I want to know from where do I start? Is it ddca? Then in mumbai where do I find ddca.ddca is located in Delhi right or each state is having its own ddca? Plz help me out in this so that I go ahead.
thnku very much.

ANSWER: Dear Vivek,

Its the right age you should start working on becoming umpire. Its a tough job and enjoyable at the same time. You have played club level cricket that is good enough for you to understand the Laws of the game. Follow the undermentioned instructions.

1. Purchase Law Book latest edition of TOM SMITH Cricket Umpiring and Scoring.
2. Read, follow and understand the Laws.
3. Interpretation of the Laws is very very important and its application on the ground.
4. Write down every Law you read and what you have understood. Just write summary of that.
5. Have a good communication skill regarding cricketing language.
6. Write down your problems, refer the questions to the nearest possible Sr most Umpire, or get back to me for any clarification over any doubts.
7. Register you name with the local cricket association and stand in as many matches as you can.
8. Practice umpiring in friendly matches, club matches, stand in the nets for making yourself used to the system of umpiring.
9. The more you stand in matches, the more you will learn and gain confidence.
10.Get prepared for any state level exam and thereafter BCCI Level-1 exam, which requires you to obtain 80% marks.
11. Practice answering questions in a very brief. Answer to the brief points,need not write extra which will have a bad impression on the invigilator.

Hope these 11 commandments are good enough and then get back to me for any further questions.

All the best and with regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 21122014)

QUESTION: Hello sir,
I have been practicing  umpiring   in friendly matches.
I got ur all the points perfectly .
Only doubt is the 10th point  which says get ready for state level exam.
where is this exam conducted in Maharashtra. I'm in I he to go to delhi to ddca for this exam.
And yes I will do exactly   u have said purchase the law book of Tom Smith read and practice   writing   answers as well.
 My doubt is the state level exam which I can't  find.plz reply for this state level exam specifically  thnx

Dear Vivek,

Thanks for getting back to me and I really find you passionate about the game, Great keep it up.
State panel exam is a one, which is conducted by local cricket association towards preparation for any BCCI level-1 & 2 exams. If you are in Mumbai, you can register your name with MCA or if you are in Delhi, you can enroll your name with DDCA.

All associations have to educate their own people in all field of cricket. For umpiring, most of the associations, like mine in Baroda, conduct regular Seminar, every alternate year with the help of any Sr Umpire / Invitee BCCI umpire. This is very much required by the local cricket associations. Generally such seminar and exams are conducted during the months of June to August, when cricket is not played.

So now it is your turn to inquire and enroll your name with all your details. Hope you will make all positive efforts to get your name enrolled.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 22122014)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.